Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Quarter of a Century Old

First order of business on the morning of my birthday, I made Blake take photos with me before sending him to school. Haha!






Yesterday was the first in all my life to celebrate my birthday without a birthday cake. It was pretty refreshing, if you ask me. And for some weird, unknown reason, I didn't really feel like eating cake! Perhaps the number two in me does not like cake. Hmm...

The day was pretty much normal. I spent the day teaching, and then doing some shopping (for myself, of cos!) before going to pick Blake up from school. This was when another first in all my life happened. I experienced a flat/punctured tyre.

I had borrowed my dad's car to pick Blake up in, thinking it might rain, and cos I wanted to avoid taking the bus during the peak hours. My youngest sister had came along to help me entertain Blake while I drove - that little boy can squirm, I tell you! We stopped to buy her some bubble tea, and on the way to Blake's pre-school, we heard a funny sound. We came up with all sorts of scenarios, and I told her I felt some drag when I'm turning the car, but we decided to ignore it cos we were freaking out.

We reached Blake's school, and just after I settled him into the car seat, we smelled something. Blake had poo-ed! At the same time, I saw the flat tyre! I told my sister to call my dad to seek his advice (my first time, you see), while I took Blake back into the school to have his diaper changed.

Bringing Blake back into the school made him cry a lot. He was probably thinking, "Why are you sending me back in? You just took me out! We're supposed to go home!" But I stayed with him the whole time, reassuring him again, and again, that we only went back in cos we needed to clean him up.

Once that was done, we went back to the car, where my sis said to drive to the nearest petrol station to get the flat tyre pumped. So we did a slow drive to the nearest petrol station I could think of.

When we got there, I immediately set the air pressure, and tried to pump the air into the tyre. But it was no use! Nothing was detected! Then a nice uncle came over, and told me that the car tyre looked really wrong, and that a simple air pump would not be enough. He then called the petrol station attendant (PSA) to assist me. PSA pressed some buttons on the machine, and pumped air back in for me (he had chosen the flat tyre function, which I knew nothing about). He then heard some funny sounds, and told me that I had a punctured tyre. He then directed me to the two nearest tyre shops. He was the only PSA at that time, and couldn't help me further as he had to return to pumping petrol for the other customers.

By the time we reached the tyre shop to get help, the punctured tyre was sort of deflated again. The mechanic took out the tyre to inspect.

Cause of punctured tyre: a nail driven all the way in, till its surface was even with the tyre.

He said he will do a simple repair for us on the tyre, which would get us home safely, and last through the next couple of days with ease. But, he said to get the tyres checked, and changed as soon as possible, for obvious safety reasons.

Throughout this whole episode, Blake remained in the backseat with my youngest sister, playing. So thankful for having him on his best behavior, else I really would not know how to get through this whole episode!

Came home, and rewarded Blake with tons of hugs and kisses. Then the husband came home, and we went out for a yummilicious dinner to celebrate my birthday! :D

Definitely one of the most memorable birthdays I'll ever have!





No comments:

Post a Comment